Velkommen!

Welcome to Food and Stuff, a blog that is documenting my senior year of college through the food I make! This should be a jolly good time and I'm happy you're here to share it with me! I may even have random Food Funnies every so often, which you won't want to miss! So put that apron on and gather your bowls, this is going to be fun!

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Hot Pockets and Goodbyes

Now that Spring Break is over, I only have 7 more weeks until GRADUATION! What?? It's pretty crazy... I'm pretty nervous for the next year and a half, I seriously have no idea what I want to do after I finish culinary school... But that stress out of the way, I did some baking today after I flew back up to Humboldt County.

Since I'm a vegetarian, it's hard to find delicious frozen meals (which honestly is good, it makes me not eat them!) but sometimes, you just need a quick fix... So I took matters into my own hands a made some homemade 'hot pockets.' YUM-O! Here's the recipe I created for these:

Recipe:

Pastry Dough:
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 T. sugar
Pinch of salt
Roughly 3 T. butter
1/2 c. Silk coconut milk

Filling:
5 eggs
5 veggie sausage links
1/4 c. shredded cheese
Tapatío

1. So put the first 4 pastry ingredients into a bowl and mix a bit. Then 'cut' in the butter and after pretty meal-y, add then milk and knead until just mixed. Set to the side.

2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

3. Heat up the sausage links and cut into pieces and shred the cheese. Set aside.

4. Scramble the eggs and once their cooked, add the sausage and cheese and quickly mix. Put in a bowl.

5. Roll out the dough and cut out identical rectangles. Put on dough piece in your pastry pocket form thing (or get innovative and do it on the counter?) and fill the pocket. Place the another rectangle on top and close the form thing to cinch them together (yo could totally use a fork if your using the counter).

6. Bake for 15 minutes and you are set!
I froze most of mine, with the intention to throw them in the toaster oven after I run in the morning. They taste pretty good, but the dough wasn't the best, I'd probably try to use a different recipe for that, but overall they are pretty good, way better than that store bought crap. So I would say this was a success! : )

Here are my Orange County spring break highlights:

Jack and Grady's T-ball game! They were so cute : )

My sister, Julie, and I went to the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana to see Lucy (A. afarensis) from Ethiopia... And it was a really awesome exhibit! It was so fun seeing a total anthropology-based museum exhibit... On top of that, they had a small whaling exhibit, which was awesome (since I've read some non-fiction about 19th century whaling)... And an exhibition of art from Maurice Sendak, the author/illustrator of Where the Wild Things Are, all of which were truly incredible! I wish I could draw like that! 

Then, my friend Ashley and I drove up Pacific Coast Highway to Malibu and Point Dume (Makes me feel like I'm in Middle Earth for some reason...) Which was so totally fun and beautiful!

And finally, I had to say farewell to one of my best friends, Claire, as she leaves for her 18 month mission to Argentina... It is bittersweet, I know she is going to have an amazing time and grow so much, but I'm going to miss talking to her everyday and just all our adventures. But she'll be back in September 2014 and we'll be pen pals while she's gone : ) 

Silver linings, my friends, look for the silver linings.

I miss you already! 
Vi Ses,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment