Velkommen!

Welcome to Food and Stuff, a blog that is documenting my senior year of college through the food I make! This should be a jolly good time and I'm happy you're here to share it with me! I may even have random Food Funnies every so often, which you won't want to miss! So put that apron on and gather your bowls, this is going to be fun!

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Lemon Lavender Shortbread

As you're aware, I love lemon. And lavender. Especially together!
An edit from my photo class!

My roommates happen to love this delicious combination as well, so whenever I make some kind of Lem-Lav cookie (like that abbreviation? All me! haha), they get gobbled up right away! 

I've been madly studying for my Primatology test (which is tomorrow!) so I definitely needed a baking break!

These are super easy, and very Spring-y, so give them a go!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup powdered sugar
Zest of 2 lemons, divided
1/2 t. lavender buds
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Add the butter, powdered sugar, zest of 1 lemon, lavender, vanilla, and salt to a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the flour, and beat until a dough is formed. This takes about 5 minutes if you're using a hand mixer, so don't be alarmed that your dough starts out looking like sand.
3. In a small bowl, combine the remaining lemon zest, and 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar. Rub the zest into the sugar until fragrant.
4. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, and roll out to 1/4 inch thickness. Sprinkle 3/4 of the lemon sugar on top (you will use the remaining 1/4 of the lemon sugar in the same fashion when you re-roll the shortbread dough), and gently press it into the dough with the rolling pin. I then used a knife to cut pieces, because honestly, you're just going to eat these up right out of the oven! But you could cut them with a circle biscuit cutter if it pleases you...

5. Bake for 8-10 minutes, and cool completely on the cookie sheet.  
6. After they're cooled, I made a quick lemon glaze: lemon juice, zest, powdered sugar and a pinch of lavender. I don't have any exact amounts, but when it gets 'glazy' it's probably done!!


Recipe adapted from A Bitchin' Kitchen, which is a fantastic blog name, huh?!

Well anyway, these are very good, and eating these makes me feel like it's spring! (Even though I live in the land of constant rain) Hopefully the Farmer's Market starts up soon, so I can get some frest lavender up in here! 

But for now, I best be gettin' back to memorizing the taxonomic names of New and Old World Monkeys.

 Peace Out, homies.

Vis Ses,
Holly
My Sister is in Hawaii right now.
LUCKY.

No comments:

Post a Comment