Velkommen!

Welcome to Food and Stuff, a blog that is documenting my senior year of college through the food I make! This should be a jolly good time and I'm happy you're here to share it with me! I may even have random Food Funnies every so often, which you won't want to miss! So put that apron on and gather your bowls, this is going to be fun!

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Lent for an Ape


As an anthropologist, I try really hard to stay open-minded and accepting of everyone... Which admittedly can be hard sometimes, but I'm not ashamed to admit that. I'm not an overly 'religious' or 'churchy' person (even I fall to the boxing of people sometimes) but I do participate in some cultural events that correlate with the [Reconciling] United Methodist church I hit up at home.

Over the years, I've tried to go vegan for the 6 weeks, or 'give up' something like candy or chocolate. This year I decided to change it up a bit and try to make a small impact on the world

I am not going to purchase anything with Palm Oil in it.

What's the big deal with Palm Oil you may be wondering? Is it just another type of oil? Well no, it's not.

I'm not giving up Palm Oil because it's unhealthy, or to lower my oil intake. I'm giving up Plam Oil because the Palm Oil industry is one of, if not the, main reason(s) that Orangutans are so close to extinction.

Orangutans (OH-rang-a-tan-s) live on the Islands of Sumatra and Borneo. That's it, people. And there, the Palm Oil industry is so prevalent, that major deforestation is destroying the Orangutans' environment. It's really sh*tty.

If this destruction isn't stopped, the beautiful Orangutans could be extinct in as few as 20 years! Imagine a world where you couldn't see one of their smiles, or feel the love of mother and child connections. I can't. And you shouldn't either.

Look at these faces!!! So amazing.
So join me in halting the purchase of Palm Oil, and together we may dent the industry, even a tiny bit, to help the Orangutans survive.

Vi Ses,
Holly

For more information:
http://www.orangutans.com.au/Orangutans-Survival-Information/About-Palm-Oil.aspx

2 comments:

  1. I have been avoiding this oil for years! Glad to know it is important beyond just health reasons. Love you, Grandma

    ReplyDelete